Lance Mackey is an American professional dog musher. He is a popular dog musher and a sled dog racer who has been declared the winner of Yukon Quest and Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race 4 times each. He won the first titles from each of the events in 2007 and became the first-ever person to win them both simultaneously. Keep reading to know Lance Mackey net worth.
View this post on Instagram
Lance Mackey Wiki
|Full Name||Lance Mackey|
|Date of Birth||June 2, 1970|
|Place of Birth||Alaska, United States|
|Lance Mackey Net Worth||$0.5 Million|
The whole family of Lance Mackey seems to be associated with the dog sled race. His father, Dick Mackey is one of the founders of the Iditarod race and he is the one who won it in 1978. Rick Mackey, Lance’s half-brother also won the race in 1983. The common factor that binds them is the common bib number 12 that they wore while racing. Currently, Lance’s brother Jason also competes in the race.
Lance won the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race and Yukon quest in the same year in 2007. He was the first person to gain this honor. Having made this almost impossible task possible, Lance has nominated for ESPY award in 2007. He also went on to win the Veterinarians’ award in the same year for his win in the Yukon Quest. Overwhelmed by his win, he proudly spoke that the award meant more to him than winning the race itself.
His winning streak continued in 2008 when he also won the Tustumena 200 along with his fourth consecutive Yukon Quest and second Iditarod title.
In 2009, Lance won his third consecutive Iditarod but did not participate in the Yukon Quest. In 2010, he bagged his fourth Iditarod title. He holds the record for the most number of consecutive wins in the Iditarod race. Many people are interested in Lance Mackey net worth because of his wonderful career.
Mackey is one of the toughest athletes the world has ever seen. Despite all his health-related shortcomings, he showed enough enthusiasm to take part in the races and live his passion. Lance decided not to take part in the race in 2017 due to his medical complications. In the 2021 Iditarod race, he tested positive for methamphetamine due to which he could not participate in the race.
Life has not been good for Lance always. He was diagnosed with life-threatening throat cancer in 2001 but still went on to participate in the Iditarod in 2002. However, this was followed by a year gap devoted to the recovery from the dreaded disease. Although the recovery was 100 percent, the treatment procedure led to nerve damage in the left index finger of Mackey. The treatment also affected his salivary glands which caused the disintegration of his teeth.
Mackey was previously married to a woman named Tonya. He has been divorced twice. In 2020, his wife Jenne Smith died in an unfortunate ATV accident. They had two little children together. In 2021, Lance himself survived a dangerous car carsh.
Lance Mackey Net Worth
According to several authentic sources, Lance Mackey has an estimated net worth of $500,000. He has earned his wealth via his career, TV appearances, and sponsorships.
Facts about Lance Mackey
- Lance Mackey is one of the most popular dog mushers in the United States.
- He is of white descent. His zodiac is Gemini. Lance did not get along with his father who was also a dog musher. Mackey was arrested several times in his youth.
- Lance has been divorced twice. His partner passed away in 2020 due to an accident. He has 3 children.
- Mackey can be found on social media sites. His Instagram handle has over 3500 followers and his Twitter profile has more than 3000 followers.
- Lance has been criticized by PETA for dog cruelty. Particularly, he received complaints about his use of CBD treatment for the dogs. However, Lance has defended his practices.
- In 2015, there was a documentary made on Lance’s life and career titled The Great Alone.
- He has had a long history of drug and alcohol abuse. In 2001, he was diagnosed with cancer due to which he could not take part in several dog races.