John Cleese is a notable British actor, writer, comedian, voice actor, producer, and director. He is well-known for his appearance in the movies A Fish Called Wanda, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Life of Brian, and TV series Fawlty Towers. He is a co-founder of the famous comedy troupe Monty Python. Keep reading to get to know John Cleese net worth.
View this post on Instagram
John Cleese Wiki
|Full Name||John Marwood Cleese|
|Date of Birth||27 October 1939|
|Place of Birth||Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, England|
|Occupation||Comedian, TV Personality, movie producer, director, actor, screenwriter|
|Height||1.96 m (6 ft 4 in)|
|John Cleese Net Worth||$20 Million|
John Marwood Cleese was conceived on 27 October 1939 in the United Kingdom. His father Reginald Francis Cleese was employed at an insurance company and his mother Muriel Evelyn was a homemaker. John attended St Peter’s Preparatory School and enrolled in Clifton College. he did well in his studies but was known as a prankster. He was already a solid 6 feet tall when he was just 13 years old.
John Cleese started his incredible career by writing for TV series in the 60s. He wrote for That Was the Week That Was, The Frost Report, How to Irritate People, and At Last the 1948 Show. John made his film debut in the 1968 movie Interlude. In 1969, he co-created the sketch comedy show Monty Python’s Flying Circus which gained him fame and recognition.
In 1975, John appeared in the TV series Fawlty Towers. It proved very popular and launched him into stardom. He was also the creator and writer of the series. His character Basil Fawlty was immensely popular with the audience. In the same year, his movie Monty Python and The Holy Grail was released. The movie was a great commercial and critical success. It is considered one of the funniest movies of all time.
In 1979, John appeared in the comedy movie Life of Brian. It was also a box office success but was also controversial at the time due to religious themes and content. In 1981, he starred in the movie Time Bandits which was positively received and grossed over $40 million. His movie Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life was released in 1983. In 1985, he appeared in the action movie Silverado.
In 1988, Cleese wrote and starred alongside Kevin Kline and Jamie Lee Curtis in the comedy movie A Fish called Wanda. It proved to be a super-hit movie and earned more than $170 million. The film received several Academy Awards nominations winning one for Best Supporting Actor. He also wrote and starred in its sequel Fierce Creatures which was ultimately considered a disappointment.
His filmography includes Erik the Viking, The Wind in the Willows, George of the Jungle, Romance with a Double Bass, The Statue, The Pink Panther 2, Igor, Shrek the Third, Spud 2: The Madness Continues, The Croods, Spud, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Charlotte’s Web, Around the World in 80 Days, Arctic Dogs, Absolutely Anything, Trolls, Clifford the Big Red Dog andDie Another Day.
On Television, John Cleese appeared in To Norway, Home of Giants, The Muppet Show, Cheers, 3rd Rock from the Sun, The Human Face, Disney’s House of Mouse, Wine for the Confused, Entourage, Whitney, Will & Grace, Speechless and Hold the Sunset.
He has also lent his voice to several video games, for instance, 007 Racing, Storybook Weaver, Trivial Pursuit: Unhinged, Fable III, Shrek the Third, The Elder Scrolls Online, Payday 2, and Raid: World War II. John has also written for the stage. He has also appeared in numerous TV commercials for major brands such as Intel, TBS, Melba toast, Lexus, Tostitos, Tele Denmark, Compaq, Sony, American Xpress, Kaupþing, Accurist, AA, Cellnet, Nestle Milk Chocolate, Talking Pages, Royal Mail, DirecTV, Magnavox, and Heineken.
Awards and Achievements
John Cleese has won several awards and honors in his distinguished career. In 1989, he was nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. He was also nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy. In 1987, he received the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Guest Performer in a Comedy Series.
In 1970, 1971, and 1980, he won the BAFTA Award for Best Light Entertainment Performance. In 1989, he grabbed a BAFTA Award for his performance in the comedy movie A Fish called Wanda. In 2002, he was awarded the Sir Peter Ustinov Award. He has also been nominated for a Grammy Award, Hugo Award, Spike Video Game Award, WGA Award, and an American Comedy Award.
How much is John Cleese Net Worth?
According to various sources, John Cleese Net Worth is evaluated to be $20 Million. He has earned his wealth from his acting and comedy career.
Facts about John Cleese
- John’s real name is John Marwood Cleese. His zodiac is Libra.
- He is a very tall man having a peak height of 6 ft 4 inches.
- John is mostly known for being a member of a comedy club name Monty Python. They have also appeared many times together in movies.
- He is a lifelong supporter of Liberal Democrats. In 2018, John announced that he will move to another country due to Brexit.
- John famously declined an honor from the Crown. He is a fierce critic of Donald Trump.
- Cleese can be found on social media. His Twitter profile has more than 5.5 million followers and his Facebook page has over 2 million followers. His Instagram account has over 105k followers.
- He has been married four times. His first marriage was with actress Connie Booth which lasted from 1968 to 1978. I 1981, he got married to actress Barbara Trentham and they divorced in 1990. In 1992, Cleese married radio show host Alyce Eichelberger and divorced her in 2008. In 2012, he got hitched to model Jennifer Wade.
- John Cleese has two children. He adores Lemurs. He even has a lemur species named after him.
- He is one of the most influential British comedians of all time.
- John Cleese has starred in commercials against smoking and tobacco.